BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Search My Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Trip in Missions

I'M GOING TO MEXICO!!!!!!  Lol!  A good amount of you reading this already know this, but I'm still excited to say it!  I leave this coming Thursday (Feb. 17th) at noon.  My team and I are going to Mezcales in Mexico to run a camp for about 80 kids.  As if sharing Christ's love with kids weren't exciting enough, the camp will be held out in the open air of the main city square!  Talk about opportunity!  We'll also be doing some community building (building projects, counseling, etc).  I'll get back on Monday, February 28th.

January was truly a month of adventure.  On January 4th, I found out that I had been accepted to go on this missions trip to Mexico with Camp Sonshine International, and was tasked with raising $800 in support by February.  Feeling very confident that this is the path that God desires for me to walk, I paid the $800 from my own finances--devastating my bank account in the process!  Oh, but God is SO faithful!  Since then, my trip has been completely paid for by my brothers and sisters in Christ!  Their sacrificial giving has blessed me in ways that they'll never truly be able to know.  Just check out a message I received with a donation:

"Jamil,
I hope God blesses you in Mexico and that you will do the work of the Lord there.  I pray you be safe and God bless."

Not only that, but I went into work one day and found this note in my mailbox (along with $247):

"Dear Jamil--
A friend and I have noticed your hard work and dedication to do the Lord's work in your life.  We have also heard that you are attending C.S.I.: Mexico and that you could use some funds to get you there.  Please use the enclosed money for the trip.  We pray that you would impact the lives of kids in Mexico!  We're praying for you and for your team!  Have fun and be safe!!
Love,
Your Friends!"

With all of this prayer and encouragement behind me, and God going ahead of me, I can't help but be excited about this trip!!!  I'm not going to pretend that preparations have been all daisies and rainbows, though.  January was an extremely trying month....  Indeed, God was so sovereign when He gave me James 1:2-3 and Psalm 103:5 as theme verses for the year.  Lol!  In the words of the psalmist from Psalm 73, "My foot had almost slipped..."  Then, through His perfect timing, God led me to finish my study of the book of Acts, reading about Paul's journey to Rome.

He faced threats from soldiers, wind, a shipwreck, a viper, etc; yet, he persevered in the Lord, arriving to a wonderful ministry opportunity in Rome (preaching the Gospel under guard, and waiting to appear before Caesar).  No doubt, the attacks I've faced have meant to distract and discourage me from the Lord's work; instead, I've persevered, by God's grace!  My jaw injuries, my emotional distress, family health issues...all were meant to do harm, yet God has used them for good (Genesis 50:20).  I can only wait with anticipation as to what awaits me in my "Rome"!

I'll be "off the grid" while I'm in Mexico, so no one will hear from me until I return.  As you pray for me, please keep my mom lifted...she's been watching the news...  She's seen that upwards of 15 people have died in Mexico recently from violence, and now she's completely worried and has tried to dissuade me from leaving.  All that worry isn't good for her heart (she's had heart disease since before I was born, and now she's developing kidney failure because of her heart medicine).  I look forward to posting photos, videos, and much more upon my return!  Until then, take care and be blessed!

"Missions is very simple.  There are only two ministries in missions.  You're either called to go down into the well, or you're called to hold the rope for those who go down.  Either way, there should be scars on your hands."  --Paul Washer

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I. AM. SO. EXCITED! for you!!! :) Definitely praying that the Lord goes to work in your life, your team, and all the people ya'll touch while you're down there! I can't wait to hear about how God moves:) And I appreciate that quote on the bottom; I'll have to steal/share it!

Ashley said...

I too am really excited for you Jamil. We'll miss you and we'll be here holding the rope for you. Enjoy!! Most of all, accomplish what you were sent to Mexico for:)

With much love,
Ash