BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Search My Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Trip in Missions, Pt. 9

My goodness!  The past few weeks have been busy!  We all know how the holiday-packed month of December can get busy in the U.S., but who knew it'd be just as busy in Mexico?!  Well, it's been busy here for a few different reasons....

The first is:  CAMP SONSHINE!!!!  For those who don't know, Camp Sonshine is a summer day camp ministry based out of Silver Spring, MD.  There is also another one in Roca, Nebraska.  In addition to these ministries in the States, there is Camp Sonshine International!  There are Camp Sonshine camps all over the world, in places like South Africa, China, Australia, and of course, MEXICO!!!  Actually, Camp Sonshine International is how I got hooked up with the missionaries where I am currently.

A team of 12 people arrived for Camp Sonshine International last week!  I was more than happy to see them (and not just because I had already worked with most of them).  We put on a 5-day camp for the kids in Mezcales, full of games, crafts, songs, skits and Bible discovery time!  I can honestly say that the kids had a BLAST!!!  (after all...they're still talking about it and asking when everyone is coming back)  Good times, indeed!

I've already noticed a change in some of the kids who came to camp.  A lot of the older kids seem to have more confidence.  Perhaps it's due to Whiley's explanation of how God values them each individually...or Havilah's songs as they traveled from activity to activity...or dancing with Trisha without a care for who saw...or just being around older males who show love freely like Daniel and Corey...  Whatever the case may be, God truly used the counselors in the lives of the kids!

Some of the smaller kids are smiling more, where before they would just hide or push joy away from their expressions.  One kid in particular, Dulce, definitely benefited from being around Brenna!   (that isn't Dulce in the picture...I didn't have a picture of the two of them together)  Anyway, my point is that Dulce smiles a lot more now, adding to the English meaning of her name:  Sweet.

While in Mezcales, we also helped the missionaries with various construction needs for the community center.  We used a pulley system to hoist sand, gravel, and bricks to the roof of the building.  The repeated phrase became "20 more buckets..."  Lol!  

After camp ended in Mezcales, the team and I headed to Arroyo Seco to meet up with Artemio Rosas and his family.  We had met Artemio back in February on our first trip in San Pancho.  He has a surfing ministry in Arroyo Seco (the guy is a pro surfer!!!), so we put on a 90 minute camp session for the kids there.  Afterward, I can honestly say that the entire team wished we had more time to spend with the kids there!  Who knows...maybe Arroyo Seco can be added to the CSI: Mexico trip...(Jeff, I hope you're reading this).  Lol!  Plus, it's always fun when I get to hang out with Artemio's youngest--my lil buddy, Israel!

Camp Sonshine left last weekend amidst tears and smiles (from both the kids and the counselors).  Right afterward, a clinical nurse from the U.S. arrived to give a two-day presentation on the importance of health and personal hygiene for the kids. I became "Captain Germ" as I carried spray bottles of colored water and sprayed the hands of the kids, forcing them to wash them clean.  Lol!

Now, as the program is winding down for the end of the year, we're gearing up for the end of the year Christmas party!  It'll be my first Christmas party with pinatas!  Lol!  That's coming up on Tuesday, and we've received many donations to give to the kids as gifts!  I'm definitely looking forward to partying with the kids and using the opportunity to share about Christ's birth.  Hopefully my Spanish will hold up...heh-heh...

Speaking of opportunities, I was talking with a group of the older girls (middle school age) after the program last Tuesday.  One of them kept going on and on about how she really loves this guy, so I asked her what "love" is.  Perfect segue, because after she gave a very emotion-filled response, she asked me what I think "love" is!  ...honestly...my Spanish failed me at that exact moment...  Perfect timing, right?  Though I tried to explain love from a Scriptural standpoint...I just lacked the vocabulary.  The good thing is that where I suffered in speaking the language in school, I excelled in writing!  So I've written down my thoughts on the subject and plan to give it to her when I see her next.  I hope this gives her a clearer view of Christ and love, in general!  Please continue to pray for opportunities to spiritually feed the people here!  Camp Sonshine shook up some stuff, and I'm excited to see what falls into place!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun!! Thanks for posting this!!! Miss you Jamil!

Melissa