BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Search My Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Book Worm Diaries

It's been a while since I've posted in my "Interesting Inspirations" section, so it's a bit overdue.  Good news!  My long train commute each day (roughly 3hrs a day) gives me PLENTY of time to catch up on my reading!  I finished two amazing books that absolutely MUST be read by any professing American believer:  Revolution in World Missions by K.P. Yohannon and Radical by David Platt. 

 
These books give a very sobering look at missions and American prosperity.  Sure, we may know and understand that the Bible has a lot to say about the wisdom/faithfulness we show in how we use the money God allows us to have, but do we realize the dire need for us to support world missions?  These books echo Jesus' words, "Freely you've received, freely give" (Matthew 10:8).  I highly recommend both of these books!  And for those who are strapped for cash, don't worry because Yohannon's book is offered FREE!!!  Check out the offer here.

Due to my commute, I finished these books in about 3 weeks...which left me thirsty for an ongoing book series that I could sink my teeth into...  Enter:  Christian Fiction.  I'll admit that I had never considered reading Christian fiction before; I figured that it would be weak in comparison to regular fiction and would in no way measure up to The Chronicles of Narnia.  Of course, my preconceived notions were unfounded (like most notions about Christianity).  Anywho, a good friend introduced me to an AMAZING series:  The Baxter Family Drama by Karen Kingsbury.

Some may attempt to pull my "man card" for picking up this series; after all, it includes many love stories and parts narrated by women.  I've always been a closet-romantic, so I really don't mind.  However, don't take away the fact that the series chronicles a family as they struggle with everyday life and living their christian faith!  Honestly, reading through this series and being able to objectively view how the characters respond to life situations that I face everyday has actually helped to inform parts of my lifestyle--the writing brings THAT much Biblical truth to the table!  Oh, and did I mention that the first 5 books of the series was co-written with Gary Smalley (author and marriage counselor)?  As the books illustrate marriage principles and relational wisdom, you'll find yourself caught up in the characters.  I'll admit that after reading of a favored character's car accident, I was so upset that I was about to pray for him...then I realized that the book is fiction and laughed at my foolishness.  Lol!  If you're interested, the picture to the left is of the first book in the series: Redemption.
Where I am in the series:  Book #11 of 14 (next release in June)

While a friend introduced me to the series above, the next series was found by mere chance (or God's leading).  I'll reclaim my "man card" as I announce the second series I've been reading:  The Dragonkeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul.  This series is very reminiscent of the Narnia series, in that it takes place in a mythical place with strange happenings--all with strong Biblical overtones.  The series features friendships tested, fierce battles, unlikely romance, and God's presence.  This is truly a great series--I say that having paused on reading book#11 of the above series to read the next two books of this one.  If you're interested, the picture to the left is of the first book in the series:  Dragonspell.
Where I am in the series:  Book #2 of 5 (series is completed)

I hope you find these books and book series as insightful and entertaining as I have!  Feel free to post a comment if you have any questions about any of the books that I've mentioned, or if you have books that you want to suggest to me or others!

0 comments: