BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Search My Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Trip in Missions, Pt. 3

[Narrator's Voice]:  "When we last left our hero, he had just returned from a missions trip to Mexico that absolutely touched his heart.  He resolved to continue seeking the Lord about his future as he finished out his year-long internship with the fabulous Camp Sonshine.  We rejoin him now, 6 months later..."

Hey everyone!  So I'm going back to Mexico!  Short story, huh?  Well, to shorten it even more, I'm going back for about 5 1/2 months--leaving in September and returning in February.  The whole situation hasn't been the easiest to undergo, but it has been extremely encouraging!  I began raising support in early June so that I could reach a goal of $2,400 that would pay for my travel, food and stay in Mexico.  For a LONG time, I received nothing and doubts crept into my mind:  "Did you really hear from God?"  "Maybe your parents were right--get a REAL job!"  "Just messing up, again, Jamil..."

Midway through July, I realized that the most I had done to show faith in God about Mexico was to tell others I was going.  I thought back to the last time I went and noticed that God brought me support AFTER I had taken a step of faith by paying for a plane ticket out of pocket.  So I decided to take another step of faith by buying my plane ticket with no foreseeable support in sight.  THE VERY NEXT DAY AT CAMP, I RECEIVED MY FIRST MONETARY SUPPORT!!!  One of my friend's 5th grade campers heard I was going and donated $1 to the cause (I love that boy!).  Truly, it touched me and I definitely didn't add that to the "ice cream shack fund."  Lol!

One day later, I heard that my fellow interns were doing a fundraiser for me all throughout camp!  The deal was that if $500 was reached, Dan, the blond below, would shave his beard.  If $1,000 was reached, Brandon, the thickly bearded one below, would shave his.  And if $1,500 was reached, Dan would cut his long blond hair.

Well, by Friday of last week (7/29), $1,000 had been raised!!!  I'm sad to be able to say that, only because Brandon loves his beard...  Welp!  Here are the after shots!!!

                            
Not only that, but as of today, 8/2, they have raised a little over $1,600!!!!  I'm also a little sad to say that because Dan loves his long hair...  It will be cut this week...and what a fundraiser!!!  Is there anyone wondering why they raised OVER $1,500?  Well, apparently my camp director, Nathean, caught the fever and said that if we raise the entire $2,400 by Friday, he will shave the curly locks on his head!!!  (for those who don't know, Nathean is the guy in the above photo with Brandon)

I'm feeling so in awe these days...  Not only did God set it up so that I would be TOTALLY taken care of, but He set it up in such a way that I can tangibly FEEL the love and support of the Body of Christ!  Seeing Dan and Brandon give some of what they hold dear just to help me get to Mexico made me a little "misty."  To have campers come up to me during the camp day and give me money for the trip is humbling.  Having the main office workers help coordinate the funds and send e-mails is amazing.  I haven't felt THIS cared for since the surprise birthday party I received on my 22nd birthday.  Oh, Lord...You rock!  Haha...pun...  Please continue to pray for the trip, the kids, the work, and my preparation in the coming days and weeks.  I have NO clue where God is taking me on this one...well...except TO MEXICO!!!!  ;-)

2 comments:

Gus and Shaunice said...

AMEN FAITHFUL BROTHER!!!!
This has totally encouraged me and I will definitely be in prayer for you - pray for us too, to stay faithful to God and believe Him no matter what!

Jamil said...

I'm glad to hear it!!! I hope the best for you guys as you prepare to return overseas!