BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Search My Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Road to "Happily Ever After", pt. 3

I'm not going to lie, preparing for the wedding to/marriage with Alisha has been kind of rough on me.  As a young man in the Lord, I have a large desire to provide for myself, and more importantly, for my fiance and future wife.  That seems pretty normal, right?  I mean, who wouldn't want to make the one they love feel secure?  It's been a rough path to walk for a few reasons...

At the beginning of the summer, I had my whole first year out of college planned out!  I was going to work the summer at camp and then start my career afterward.  I thought it was a great plan with a great financial future!  That's when God began to burden my heart with ministry and His work; He put it on my heart to do missions during my first year out of college (before my career starts).  I decided to be obedient, and now I'm working with Camp Sonshine during the school year and next summer.  I've been enjoying the work and the environment!  The staff is so encouraging!  In addition, I get a paycheck for the work (which is something that isn't expected when doing mission work).  It's not a large check, but it's enough to take care of myself--$400 a month.

With $400 a month, there's not much that can be saved for a wedding and future life.  It's enough to make a person feel low--like less of a man.  Not to mention that student loans will be starting up in December...  It doesn't help that not many older people around me seem to understand.  My step-dad considers me utterly foolish because of this situation.  My biological dad thinks/knows that I'm making a huge mistake.  One of my brothers in Christ wonders if I'm working at camp because I'm afraid of joining the "real" work world.  Another thinks that I'm in this position because I simply don't know what to do next with my life.  There's not much encouragement.  Yet, I know that God is shaping things so that He'll be able to do a great work!  The same thing happened as I planned for engagement, and we all saw the blessing He brought forth there!!!  (see The Road to "Happily Ever After")  God, knowing the discouragement I face, has prompted me with these questions:
1)  Is God worth my embarassment?
2)  Will I serve and follow after God even if it means that I'll not just look foolish, but will be called foolish, too?
3)  If my actions seem foolish to me, will I still trust in God?

Lol!  Yeah, I'll be a fool for God.  So, I'm pressing forward and trying to trust God.  As you can see above, it's quite difficult.  In fact, I'm finding it really hard to trust that God will provide.  Of course, I know that He is able and that He controls every situation, but to apply that knowledge practically--letting go and waiting on Him--is hard.  I could really use your prayers...

As I continue to wait, I'm just going to keep myself busy with the work of the Lord.  He's given me more than enough to do!  On top of the work with camp, the door has been opened for me to work with all ages 5-21 in various other ministry opportunities!  Honestly, I have so much more to do than to be worried about things that God is already taking care of!  Lol!  Ah, well!  I look forward to posting pt. 4 of this unorthodox journey to marriage!!!

0 comments: